Thursday, January 15, 2015

Brunch at Cafe Gitane

Today I hopped on the B-train and headed downtown to meet up with a long-time friend, Claudia. I didn't even get lost once – impressive, I know...shout out to Google maps!

Claudia and I have been friends since we were in the 2nd grade, and through the years have always managed to kept in touch. She has been studying at the American Academy of Dramatic Arts (AADA) for a couple years now, so she has become a pro at getting around the city and finding the teeny-tiny cafes. When she found out I was moving to New York during winter break, we made plans to meet up. She suggested Cafe Gitane on Motts Street. 



The cafe was my definition of quaint, and the woman who was working actually recognized Claudia from her being there recently. We sat and caught up as Claud drank her mocha-something and I stuffed my face with carbs (as usual), then we wandered through Soho for about an hour or so. We snagged some nice deals from H&M (her hat, my scarf, as pictured above, both for $2.50), and as we got on the subway back uptown, I asked Claudia if she could give me three tips about living in NYC. She gave me nine.
  1. Walk a lot, because people miss things always taking the subway or staying indoors
  2. Museums are actually free because they're donation based, so don't be fooled by the price!
  3. Find other cafe shops besides Starbucks – there are many
  4. The cheapest cereal is at Whole Foods
  5. Walk Fast – New Yorkers will hate you if you don't
  6. Union Square Market = cheapest fresh produce
  7. You can use your Metro Card on buses...("I just discovered this", she added)
  8. Avoid Midtown unless you want to experience the crazy tourists and business rush hours
  9. The Seaport on the Lower East Side is a hidden gem. Visit. 
I'm honestly just grateful to have someone who knows what they're doing in the city. Claudia and I are easily able to pick up where we left off, so it was truly nice to get together. Thanks again for showing me around, girl, and thanks for the helpful tips!

Hope ya'll are staying warm. I haven't been able to adventure as much as I would like to since it's been below freezing the last few days, but I'm getting my internship all set in place and trying to make myself comfortable in my little dorm room. Pictures to come soon!

Best,
xoxo Laurie

3 comments :

  1. Sounds like she gave you some great tips. Keep having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The walk fast is a definite... I hata slow walkers especially those that stop short in the middle of a crowded side walk.

    ReplyDelete