Friday, January 23, 2015

The Room and the Roommate

After getting the chance to settle in, I figured it was time to share some pictures of the hole-in-the-wall I'm calling my home and the wonderful lady I'm calling my roommate!


The Room


Living in an old building like the New Yorker/living in NYC in general, I didn't expect much. The room is small (of course), as is the bathroom (of course), but it's a place for me to sleep and relax when I'm not working or running around the city.

If you couldn't tell from the above picture, my side is the purple side. I've got a few pictures on the wall (hi friends!) and glow-in-the-dark stars above my bed... because I need to have stars somehow while I'm living in the city. 

The room comes with drawers and shelving under the bed, which is ideal for such a small room. But the closet (not pictured) is so shallow that the clothes and hangers sit halfway out, so the door can't even close. So before my parents left the city, my mom and I headed to Bed, Bath, and Beyond, and we bought this AWESOME standing closet, which is now at the end of my bed! My roommate has a similar one, which is where my mom and I got the idea, but mine is a little different: it only has one rod (hers has two) but mine has a top shelf, so I have storage cubes with scarves/winter hats/gloves on top. The standing closet has been my best purchase in NYC thus far. 

The room itself isn't in bad condition, and the furniture (desk, drawers under the bed, side tables) are like new! The bathroom is a different story: there are cracks in the tiles everywhere, and rust in the medicine cabinet. Oh and the shower is absolutely terrible. Also, my roommate told me that before I moved in, there was a cockroach casually living in the sink that had crawled up our pipes. 

But I mean hey, beggars can't be choosers. Right? RIGHT?



The Roommate

MADDIE • 18 years old • From Portland, OR
Likes: chocolate, dance, Law and Order: SVU, Fourth of July
Dislikes: grumpy people, the smells of crowded NYC, when Starbucks' baristas spell her name wrong
Fun Fact: she's been dancing since she was a baby, and now dances for the New York Knicks!
Favorite Place in NYC: Rockefeller Center

It's been two years since I've had to live with someone else in a small vicinity such as a dorm room. The first time having a roommate was fine, but I was super nervous this time around – I didn't know anything about my potential roommate, not even a name! 

When it came time to meet Maddie (she wasn't in the room when I moved in), I was nervous, but it turned out that she was slightly nervous too. Her last roommate moved out due to some personal problems, but the two were never on the same page anyway. Maddie later told me that when she first saw my stuff (some Disney items and a roll of mustache duct-tape in particular), she called her mom in tears of joy because I "seemed normal". It turns out that Maddie and I have a lot in common, and I'm so so so lucky to have her as my roommate. 


••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Thanks for reading! Hope ya'll have been keeping warm wherever you are, and if you live somewhere warm, will you send me a care package of sunshine? Please and thank you!

xoxo, Laurie

1 comment :

  1. Having a great roomie is so nice. Makes the experience even better

    ReplyDelete